Dark Horse Bowl Team: 2006

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Dark Horse Bowl Team: 2006

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 pm

The "Ask CFN" segment had a question about which team will come from absolutely nowhere to be a very good team. I'll change the question up a little bit, who do you think will be a suprise team that barely makes a bowl game? They don't have to get 9 wins or anything to be a sleeper in this question, if they finish at 7-5, they're probably in a bowl game.

I really think UNLV is going to be bowling at Sam Boyd Stadium, their home stadium. I know the Las Vegas Bowl has been designated for the Mountain West champion now, but they wouldn't pass up on the home team, being the Rebels. I think they have a lot of JUCO players coming in, and Mike Sanford's system has been proven offensively at Utah. Watch out for the Rebels to get 7 wins and be bowling against a team like Oregon or Oregon State. I think that'd make for a good matchup this year!

Arkansas is another I have on my watch list. Yes, I am a Hogs fan, but I'm serious about the idea that they can absolutely shock the Trojans of Southern California on opening day. Sweltering heat, experienced Hog teams against an unexperienced Trojan team, in SEC territory, and don't forget the revenge factor. Of course, this should narrow the gap, but I'm too chicken to say they beat USC. Regardless, I think Arkansas might win 7 or 8 games this year to get to a pretty good bowl game.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:52 pm

I think either Baylor or Oklahoma State.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:58 am

I think Oklahoma State has most of their players coming back, I really think they could do it too.

If you look at the Big 12 in 2006, it could very well be the best conference in the country.

Bowl Teams:

Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M (play a very crappy OOC schedule)
Oklahoma
Kansas
Iowa State
Nebraska
Colorado

Borderline Bowl Teams (1 team will come from here):

Missouri
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Baylor

I think this conference is loaded from top to bottom, and don't be suprised when you see a few Baylors over Nebraskas or Oklahoma States over Texas A&Ms.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:37 pm

I agree with Baylor.

Another team that seems to be way off the radar screen lately that I expect to make some significant strides is Indiana. I think they could get to the middle of the pack in the Big Ten.

Other schools that I think could make a bowl after getting shut out last year would include Louisiana Tech, East Carolina, and one of the Michigan directional schools in the MAC.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:48 pm

I agree with a few of those, I'll have to wait on the previews for Louisiana Tech if they have a good portion of players coming back. If there is an opening for an at-large spot, and Western wins 8 or 9 games, we could get a bid.

I think East Carolina is going to win C-USA. My 2 sleepers from that conference are SMU and ECU and I think they'll meet up in the championship game.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:22 pm

South Carolina....... :(
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”